NatureBox (www.naturebox.com) is a high-growth e-commerce company that is reinventing the way customers find and purchase healthier foods. We’ve started with focus on the $64 billion snack market, selling membership that allow customers to conveniently learn about, discover and enjoy foods. We are not just building an e-commerce business; all of our products are branded “NatureBox”, and we are building a brand with currently over 100 delicious snack options delivered directly to the customer.
The Food Safety & Quality Assurance Manager Specialist will develop, organize and execute the company’s quality and food safety programs for our co-packed production and vendor performance. In addition, this role will interface with all co-manufacturers on their QA practices and enforce our requirements you develop. The QA manager specialist will also formulate programs and provide guidance and feedback to purchasing, production and warehousing with regard to food safety and quality for NatureBox. The position will introduce, monitor and update (as warranted) quality and food safety programs in conjunction with other departments to meet company and regulatory objectives such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and California Department of Public Health (CDPH). This includes, but is not limited to: quality control framework, evaluating third party microbiological testing and results, HACCP and food safety and defense procedures, GMPs, etc. This role will also work directly with our co-manufacturers and will require a minimum of 25% travel to our co-packers and co-manufacturers.
- Provide ongoing guidance, execution and vision to develop and support comprehensive quality and food safety programs for NatureBox; ensuring continuity of business according to internal standards, customer and regulatory expectations.
- Manage all food safety and quality aspects of co-packing relationships on behalf of NatureBox with external QA staff.
- Communicate food safety and quality assurance related information and expectations internally/cross functionally and with external partners.
- Oversee receipt process at co-packers (remotely), as well as inventory holds and clearances when quality or food safety related issues arise.
- Monitor unacceptable and expired inventory and oversee appropriate disposal Determine, in conjunction with other department managers, disposition of such inventory.
- Monitor performance of quality control systems to ensure efficacy and efficiency.
- Oversee finished product COA testing including issue investigation and follow-up.
- Manage and hindsight any recalls with the FDA and customers.
- Analyze quality control test results and communicate quality control information to all relevant organizational departments, outside vendors, or contractors.
- Organize and maintain vendor quality control documents.
- Direct the tracking of defects, test results, or other regularly reported quality control data.
- Implement and monitor production sampling process from each co-manufacturer/ co-packer
- Implement standard operating procedures regarding food safety & quality assurance topics as needed.
- Review food safety documentation necessary for regulatory submissions and inspections.
- Supervise, host, or conduct internal and external audits. Follow up with action plans.
- Document, investigate and respond to customer complaints in conjunction with external partners and customer service team.
- Additional asks will evolve as we scale the business, including but not limited to implementing organic certification when appropriate, and other related responsibilities.
- Partner with Senior Operations Manager to manage relationships with co-packers and vendors
- Monitor service level agreements at the co-packers in line with company goals
- Work with co-packers to improve receiving, production, and fulfillment processes
- Work closely with the inventory, product, and warehouse teams to maintain healthy inventory targets, and support new product launches
- Develop, analyze, and report on key operations metrics
- Oversee packaging inventory and forecast demand for corrugate, labels, and pouches
- Work with packaging vendors to ensure timely and complete deliveries
- Audit and approve co-packers and packaging invoices
Skills and Characteristics
- General knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture, packaging and distribution of goods.
- General knowledge of FDA and California commercial and regulatory requirements. Ability to research other country regulations and interpret the impact on NatureBox’s business.
- Knowledge and experience with food safety programs such as SQF, GFSI, HACCP, 3rd party audits, etc.
- Experience/aptitude for implementing business processes
- Excellent communication skills and be comfortable working both in a startup corporate environment but able to transition to work well with warehouse and co-manufacturing partners
- A hands-on team player who can also operate independently. Must be able to meet communicated timelines, schedules and deadlines.
- Self-confident, collaborative, knowledgeable and an analytic thinker. Must demonstrate good judgment and the ability to take action as appropriate. Ability to handle daily work details accurately as well as other projects, and dive in and learn the business.
- Start up experience preferred but desire to develop protocols, systems and implement procedures in a rapidly growing business is a must!
- Ability to build and maintain productive working relationships with vendors, peers, and cross-functional partners
- Must be flexible and adaptive to changing priorities; thrive in an environment that can be quite ambiguous
- Able to make decisions with limited data, as well as ability to leverage large amounts of data when available
- Ability to identify root cause for key issues and resolve effectively without guidance
- Self-starter; ability to organize and prioritize workload to meet deadlines
- Analytical with great attention to detail; ability to evaluate quantitative data and translate information into actionable solutions to drive positive business results
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to communicate and influence at all levels of the organization and w/ external business partners
- Bachelor’s of Science degree in Food Science or Food Technology preferred. degree with 2 years of supply chain work experience
- ThreeThree to fivefive years experienceyears’ experience in quality assurance and food safety in the food industry is required and should include co-packer management and experience with co-manufacturing relationships.Planning and forecasting experience (product or material planning)
- Strong analytical skills / very proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Strong listening, written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrate logical analysis, negotiation and problem solving skills
- Work in a fast paced, time sensitive, startup environment
- Some travel required (within United States)
NatureBox is located in Redwood Shores, CA, and is backed by leading venture capital firms. The company offers full benefits for anyone ready to shake up the grocery industry.